Molluscum contagiosum is a infection of the skin caused by the molluscum contagiosum virus. It produces benign, raised lesions or bumps on the upper layers of your skin. Usually, there are huge amount of bumps clustered together and may be of varying sizes.
One characteristic sign is that the bumps have a small indentation , which may become inflamed, red or irritated. The bumps are shiny in appearance, typically either flesh-colored or pink in tone, and are usually painless but may be itchy.
These bumps often appear about seven weeks after being exposed to the virus. Sometimes, the bumps do not appear for many months.
- Who can get molluscum contagiosum ?
- Here are the top 10 home remedies for molluscum contagiosum
- 1. Apple Cider Vinegarapple for treat molluscum contagiosum
- 2. Tea Tree Oil for deal with molluscum contagiosum virus
- 3. Grapefruit Seed Extract to combat molluscum
- 4. Hydrogen Peroxide to control the spread of molluscum contagiosum on your body.
- 5. Australian Lemon for eliminate the dead cells and improve the growth of new skin
- 6. Clove Oil for prevent the spread of molluscum contagios infection
- 7. Colloidal Oatmeal to soothe irritated and itchy skin due to molluscum contagiosum
- 8. Oil of Oregano for boost the immune system to fight off the molluscum contagiosuminfection quickly.
- 9. Indian Lilac for treat molluscum contagiosum
- 10. Duct Tape Occlusion for get rid of molluscum contagiosum
Who can get molluscum contagiosum ?
- children between 1 years old and 10,
- people who live in tropical climates area
- people with weakened immune systems
- people who have atopic dermatitis are at a higher risk.
While not life-threatening, this viral skin infection can cause a lot of discomfort if left untreated. Also, there is a risk of spreading the infection to friends, family members and others with whom you come into close contact. The infection spreads through direct person-to-person contact and through contact with contaminated objects.
There are so many natural treatments for help deal with molluscum contagiosum. Home remedies focus on remove the virus causing the condition, thereby reducing the symptoms and make them heal fast
Here are the top 10 home remedies for molluscum contagiosum
1. Apple Cider Vinegarapple for treat molluscum contagiosum
- Soak a cotton ball in raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and apply it on the affected area. Cover the area with a bandage and leave it on overnight. The next morning, remove the bandage and wash the area with lukewarm water. Repeat once daily for a few weeks. If the apple cider vinegar is irritating to the skin, dilute it with an equal amount of water.
- Alternatively, add 1 cup of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a bathtub of warm water. Soak in this water for 20 minutes once daily.
- You can also mix 1 tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it twice daily to work against the virus from the inside out.
2. Tea Tree Oil for deal with molluscum contagiosum virus
A 2012 study published in the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology reports that the combination of tea tree essential oil with organically bound iodine offers a safe therapeutic alternative in the treatment of childhood molluscum.
How to :
- Dab a cotton ball in tea tree oil. Apply it on the skin where the bumps appear. Repeat 3 or 4 times daily for quick results.
- Alternatively, mix 4 or 5 drops of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Apply this mixture on the affected areas. Leave it on for a couple of hours before rinsing the area with warm water. Repeat once or twice daily for a few weeks.
Note: Do not consume tea tree oil.
3. Grapefruit Seed Extract to combat molluscum
how to :
- Add 4 or 5 drops of grapefruit seed extract in 1 teaspoon of water in. Dip a cotton swab in the solution and dab it on the affected skin. Cover with a bandage and leave it on for 5 to 7 hours. Repeat twice daily. Follow this treatment for 1 week to help the papules dry up.
- You can also mix 10 drops of GSE in 5 ounces of water and consume it at least 3 times daily for a few weeks.
Ingestion of grapefruit seed extract may take longer to show visible results but will aid your body in fighting this viral infection.
4. Hydrogen Peroxide to control the spread of molluscum contagiosum on your body.
Hydrogen peroxide has huge amount of antiseptic properties that make it an best remedy to control the spread of molluscum contagiosum on your body.
Medical application of hydrogen peroxide solution directly on the papules draws out the pus and infected center, causing the bumps to pop and eventually dry out.
- Dip a q-tip in some hydrogen peroxide solution and dab it on the raised bumps or papules.
- Use bandage to cover them up.
- Leave it on for 5 to 7 hours or overnight.
- Rinse the affected areas with warm water and dry gently with a soft towel.
- Repeat twice daily.
- Do this for at least 1 week to help dry out the papules.
1% Hydrogen peroxide cream has also been found helpful for heal a molluscum contagiosum infection in infants.
5. Australian Lemon for eliminate the dead cells and improve the growth of new skin
A 2004 study published in Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy reports that applying a 10 percent solution of Australian lemon myrtle once a day reduced symptoms by 90 percent or more in children suffering from molluscum contagiosum.
how to :
- Add 1 part lemon myrtle oil to 9 parts olive oil and mix well.
- Apply this solution on the molluscum bumps.
- Do it 3 or 4 times a day for several weeks.
6. Clove Oil for prevent the spread of molluscum contagios infection
How to :
- Mix 1 teaspoon of 100 percent pure clove oil with 1 teaspoon of extra-virgin coconut oil.
- Dip a q-tip in this oil mix and apply directly on the raised bumps or papules.
- Cover with a cotton pad and medical tape.
- Keep it on for 3 to 4 hours. Then, rinse it off with warm water and gently pat dry with tissues.
- Use this remedy 3 to 4 times a day and leave overnight if possible.
- Do this for 1 week. The papules will begin to dry out and eventually disappear.
7. Colloidal Oatmeal to soothe irritated and itchy skin due to molluscum contagiosum
How to :
- Add 1 cup of colloidal oatmeal to a bathtub filled with lukewarm water. Soak in this water for at least 15 minutes. Enjoy this soothing bath up to 3 times a day, depending on the severity of your condition.
- Alternatively, add a little water to 1 cup of colloidal oatmeal to form a paste. Apply this paste on the itchy bumps, cover it with a cloth and leave it on for 30 minutes. Use this remedy once daily.
8. Oil of Oregano for boost the immune system to fight off the molluscum contagiosuminfection quickly.
How to :
- Mix 6 drops of oregano oil into 1 tablespoon of olive or almond oil.
- Apply it to the affected area and leave it on for a few hours.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and pat dry the area thoroughly.
- Do it 3 or 4 times daily.
You can also use clove oil instead of oil of oregano.
9. Indian Lilac for treat molluscum contagiosum
How to :
- Wash and grind a handful of neem leaves into a paste. Apply it on the affected area. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Do this 3 or 4 times a day.
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in a pan filled with water, until the water is reduced to one-third. Allow the solution to cool, then use it to rinse the affected area a couple of times a day.
- Mix 5 or 6 drops of neem oil with 1 tablespoon of olive or coconut oil. Apply it on the affected area for 20 to 30 minutes, once or twice daily.
10. Duct Tape Occlusion for get rid of molluscum contagiosum
how to :
- Put duct tape over the affected area and leave it on overnight.
- Replace the duct tape the next morning.
- Repeat as needed.
Use this remedy on non-hairy areas.