Hidradenitis Suppurativa also commonly known as Acne Inversa is one of the terrible skin conditions a person could have. And the fact that it is not curable, makes it even worse.
This disease is characterized by the formation of clusters of the black head like small lumps on the skin that enlarge and break to drain out pus. This condition can be accompanied by itching and burning sensation. The wounds caused by the lumps heal very slowly and leak pus which is difficult to manage in everyday life. The people under age of 15 to 40 could suffer from this skin condition.
Initially, a single patch of lump appears on the body and eventually, it spreads across multiple areas. Humidity, Heat, stress, weight gain, and hormonal changes can aggravate the symptoms. Early detection of HidradentisSuppurativa helps in procuring effective treatment.
HiradentisSuppurativa occurs due to the inflammation and blockage of the hair follicles. But what causes it is still unknown. People with arthritis, obesity, inflammatory bowel disease, severe acne, diabetes and Crone’s disease are more likely to get this disease. Based on the medical studies, women are more prone to Hidradenitis Suppurativa than men. Also, this disease could be inherited.
While there is no cure for HiradentisSuppurativa, treating and managing it becomes essential to have relief from its symptoms such as pain, itching, odor, burning sensation and live a normal everyday life. The treatments including antibiotics and hormones, of course, help to suppress HiradentisSuppurativa but by adopting certain home remedies in your life you can find more relief from this disease.
Here are different types of Easy Home remedies that you can follow to control Hidradenitis Suppurativa
1. Hot Oil Bath
A hot oil bath can be miraculously soothing to people who suffer from hidradenitis suppurativa. It can refresh the skin follicles, release stress and make one feel energetic. Tea tree oil is extensively being used in the field of treating hidradenitis suppurativa for years now. If you don’t get tea tree oil at your place, you can use other essential oils. One among these could be olive oil, which is a staple in most kitchens.
Note: If you have sensitive skin, consult a physician to decide best suitable oil for your skin type.
Procedure to use oil in a hot bath:
- Add 4-5 drops of essential oil to hot water.
- Use this mixture while bathing every day.
2. Keep Track of your diet
This might sound simple and cliché, but it’s true that what we eat directly influences on the expression of hidradenitis suppurative on the body. This health condition is mainly connected to the body glands which secrete body fluids and excrete sweat. When these glands are blocked, a person experiences rashes, infection and boils as symptoms of hidradenitis suppurativa. To enable healthy functioning of body glands, you should avoid fatty foods and add more healthy foods to your diet.
- Less Sugar: Consumption of sugar will increase insulin levels in your body which increases the symptoms of hidradenitis suppurativa. Stay away from sweets, sodas, candies and food products with added sugar.
- Consume dairy products sparingly: Dairy products contain high-fat content, so they can block the skin glands and worsen hidradenitis suppurative. Avoid consumption of all dairy products such as milk, cheese, butter etc. to reduce the symptoms of hidradenitis suppurativa and make you feel better. However, you can consume it sparingly once a week.
- Avoid yeast containing foods: Avoid processed and low fiber foods such as cake, bread, burger, pizza etc. to hasten the healing process.
- Meat and Poultry: Cut down the intake of protein by avoiding meat and poultry in your diet. The fat content in meat can also be harmful to the glands.
Foods to eat
- Consume loads of fruits and vegetables: The nutrients and vitamins present in vegetables and fruits will enhance the healing process and will help you get rid of painful boils on your skin. You can consume all varieties of fruits and vegetables available in the market according to the different seasons.
- Complex carbohydrates: You can have rice or quinoa and cereals in your diet.
Experiment your body for the initial 4 -5 weeks and see which foods trigger your symptoms, eliminate those foods from your diet.
3. Use a Natural Deodorant
Hidradenitis suppurativa mostly occurs in the armpits, which are easily prone to infections and allergic reactions. Armpits are perfect breeding ground for bacteria as they are moist and warm. The deodorant you use might aggravate the infection and cause more discomfort, so consider choosing a right deodorant before using one. If you feel itching sensation when you use a deodorant, you should take it as a warning sign and stop using it. Some of the ingredients that cause an allergic reaction are Alcohol, aluminum, and other added fragrances.
It is recommended to switch to natural deodorants like coconut oil deodorant and lavender oil deodorant. These will help heal your infected armpits and also help you remain fresh whole day.
Coconut Oil Deodorant
You will need:
- Half cup coconut oil
- Baking soda – 1/3 cup.
- Arrowroot powder – 1/3 cup
- Essential oils (only if you prefer).
- Add arrowroot powder, coconut oil, and baking soda in a bowl.
- Mix them well such that they form a texture of a lotion.
- You can adjust the consistency by adding more coconut oil to the mixture.
- Add essential oil if you prefer.
- Store this mixture in a glass container inside the refrigerator for future use.
- You can apply this deodorant by using your fingers every day.
You will need:
- Witch hazel extract – 4 tablespoons
- Mineral water
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Lavender oil – 5 drops
- Take a spray bottle and add mineral water to it.
- Add 4 tbsp. of witch hazel extract.
- Add Aloe Vera gel and 5 drops of lavender oil.
- Shake it well.
- Spray this deodorant as and when required.
4. Maintain Hygiene
Hygiene should be of prime importance to a person suffering from hidradenitis suppurativa. Skin disease is solely caused due to unhygienic practices. A little effort to keep yourself clean will help you to live a healthy life. These are few practices you should follow:
- If you experience excessive sweating, bath daily with an antiseptic soap.
- Keep the infected or affected area clean by washing it with an antiseptic soap.
- Apply antiseptic cream on the affected area every day after a wash.
- Stay away from chemical deodorants.
5. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a powerful ingredient to treat various diseases including hidradenitis suppurativa. It possesses anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that treat prevailing skin problems caused due to hidradenitis suppurativa efficiently. It also prevents the reoccurrence of fungal infections and cures this health condition.
How to use
- Cut an Aloe Vera leaf from the plant and extract the gel into a bowl.
- Wash or clean the affected area.
- Apply the Aloe Vera gel to the affected area to hasten the healing of wounds.
Turmeric is a great ingredient, commonly used in medicine to heal many ailments, especially skin related problems. Consumption of turmeric can balance the hormone levels in the body. Since ages, this herb works efficiently on hidradenitis suppurativa breakouts and other symptoms due to the antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties in it. It reduces the painful inflammation and keeps the affected area bacteria free.
External application mask
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
Preparation and use:
- Add turmeric powder, honey and lemon juice to a bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Now add yogurt and mix to form a paste. Vary the consistency by adjusting the quantity of yogurt.
- Apply this mixture to the affected area. Leave it for 15 minutes and wash off with warm water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to one glass milk.
- Mix it well.
- Consume this blend two times a day for good results.
- Another alternative is to consume turmeric capsules.
7. Lose Weight and Lower Your Stress levels.
Weight gain will increase the chances of skin areas rubbing with each other, which results in increased skin friction and increased bacteria growth. Losing weight can help you minimize the symptoms of hidradenitis suppurativa.
Stress levels also affect the body hormone functions that indirectly affects hidradenitis suppurativa. So it is necessary to maintain balanced stress levels by practicing yoga or other exercises daily. Meditating for even 10 minutes a day would keep your mind energetic and stress levels calm. If you practice managing stress you can prevent the symptoms of hidradenitis suppurativa and make life easier.
- Stay away from smoking, drugs, alcohol, and tobacco.
- Use hot compress on painful boils and bumps to relieve pain.
- Wear comfortable loose clothing. Tight clothes increase friction.
- Don’t shave the affected area.
- Let the bumps heal by itself. Don’t pop them.
- Do not use deodorants in the affected area
- Practice meditation to calm your stress level
- Take showers after exercising and in cases of sweating
- Do not use broad-spectrum fungal or anti-bacterial steroidal ointments on the lumps.
The post 7 Hidradenitis Suppurativa Treatment Home Remedies appeared first on Hira Beauty Tips.