An estimated 54.4 million American adults were told they had some form of arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, lupus or fibromyalgia between 2013 and 2015, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (1).
Arthritis can affect any part of the body where joints exist and your toes are not an exception. In fact, toe arthritis is very common and many people suffer from this painful problem.
In most cases, toe arthritis attacks the big toe, but the other toes could be affected as well. Big toe arthritis, also known as hallux limitus or hallux rigidus, occurs when the big toe moves upward or begins to form bone spurs, which limits the range of motion of the toe.
Your risk of huge toe inflammatory disease will increase as you age. this is often principally owing to wear and tear. the chance is additionally higher if you’ve got a case history of it or if you’re corpulent. Big toe inflammatory disease typically starts with a stiffness of the joint and may be amid swelling and redness. different symptoms embrace enlargement of the joint, pain, problem sporting sure shoes, problem walking (especially after you initial get up within the morning), associated deformity, and soft tissue irritation or inflammation.
It is not in any respect uncommon for patients to confuse bunions with great toe inflammatory disease as a result ofeach conditions will cause pain and a bump and enlargement at the large toe joint. however they’re really terribly totally different.
Big toe inflammatory disease is less complicated to treat once the condition is diagnosed early. There area unit severaleasy, natural home remedies to treat this drawback and scale back the discomforts.
10 home remedies for big toe arthritis
here the most powerful home remedies for big toe arthritis:
Contrast Hydrotherapy to help reduce the discomforts of big toe arthritis.
How to :
- Fill 2 small tubs – one with cold water and the other with warm water.
- First, soak the affected toe in warm water for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Then, put the toe in the cold water for 1 minute.
- Continue alternating steps 2 and 3 for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat the treatment 3 or 4 times daily until you get relief.
Apple Cider Vinegar to ease any kind of arthritic pain
How to :
- Mix equal amounts of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and lukewarm water in a foot tub. Soak your big toe in this solution for 30 minutes. When done, dry your foot thoroughly. Do it twice daily to notice an improvement in the pain and swelling.
- Also, mix 1 teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar into a glass of warm water and add a little honey. Drink it twice daily.
Warm Oil Massage to reduce the pain and inflammation
How to :
- Warm up some olive or coconut oil in the microwave.
- Dab the warm oil on the affected area.
- Using your fingers, do deep-friction massage for 10 minutes.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times daily.
Cayenne Pepper to help get rid of the pain and treat big toe arthritis
How to :
- Add ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder to 1 tablespoon of lukewarm coconut oil. Mix thoroughly, then apply it on the affected toe. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this 2 or 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can apply a capsaicin cream to the affected area daily.
Ginger to help treat arthritis in your big toe
how to :
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of ginger tea daily. To make the tea, grate a small piece of ginger root and boil it in a cup of water for 10 minutes. Strain it and add a little honey.
- Also, you can massage the affected area 2 or 3 times a day with ginger oil to help reduce pain, inflammation, and stiffness.
Turmeric to Help reduce inflammation and pain.
How to :
- For external use, mix a little olive oil and ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder to form a paste. Apply it on your big toe and cover it with a bandage for a couple of hours. Do it 2 or 3 times daily for several days.
- To promote internal healing, dissolve 1 teaspoon of turmeric in a glass of lukewarm water. Drink it twice daily to ease inflammation.
- Alternatively, you can take curcumin capsules, after consulting your doctor for the proper dosage.
Acupuncture to reduce the pain and improve the mobility of your big toe
Acupuncture is way to improve the mobility of your big toe
Healthy Weight can lead to increased pain and inflammation associated with big toe arthritis.
Maintaining a healthy weight can help prevent your joints from experiencing extra stress, thereby lessening the pain, improving joint functioning and reducing inflammation in the body. Fat itself is an active tissue that creates and releases pro-inflammatory chemical
Regular exercise to helps strengthen your bones and joints, including those in your toes
- Do aerobic exercises like walking, biking or swimming for 30 minutes, 5 days a week.
- Do gentle weight training and resistance training a few times a week to build stronger muscles.
- Do range-of-motion exercises at least 30 minutes daily.
you must wear the right footwear to treat big toe arthritis
If needed, wear a shoe with a large toe box to reduce pressure on the toe. Getting a stiff-soled shoe with a rocker or roller bottom design can also be beneficial, as such shoes help reduce the amount of bending in the big toes.
- Exercise daily to keep the joint mobile and active.
- If the toe is too painful, avoid walking around and get some rest.
- You can take painkillers to relieve the discomfort, but do not take them long term without seeking your doctor’s advice.
- Avoid ballet dancing and other activities that require constrictive shoes.
- To reduce swelling, elevate your legs so that they are above the level of your heart.
- Limit your salt and caffeine intake, as they can aggravate the condition.
- To curb pain and inflammation, include anti-inflammatory foods in your diet.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated and promote detoxification.
- If you have Type 2 diabetes, maintaining a stable blood sugar level can reduce the risk of big toe arthritis.