After doing the list on home remedies for freckles, we started getting a lot of questions about How to Get Rid of Age Spots, I hope these remedies will help you to fix your brown spots naturally.
A quote narrates, ‘Middle age is the point in life when beauty marks and age spots can peacefully co –exist’.
Nobody wants an aging skin with wrinkles or spots, but we are helpless as the skin has its own physiology and the skin cells become tired when we reach forty. These cells become less defensive against the rival sun and will start to develop the unwanted spots: ‘The Age Spots’.
What are Age Spots?
Age spots are the disclosure of extrinsic ageing process, meaning any external factor, exclusively sun, is disturbing the physiology of skin that enhances ageing and its evil effects, thus resulting in the accumulation of melanin pigments which form the age spots.
What causes age spots?
Age spots are the result of an excess production of melanin, or skin pigment. Doctors don’t always know why age spots develop. Skin aging, sun exposure, or other forms of ultraviolet (UV) light exposure, such as tanning beds, are all possible causes. You’re most likely to develop age spots on the areas of your skin that receive the most sun exposure, including:
- your face
- the back of your hands
- your shoulders
- your upper back
- your forearms
The main culprit, in this case, is none other than the Sun exposure or ultraviolet radiations. Melanocytes, the skin cells containing melanin begin to burn out when you reach your late thirties or forties, reducing the skin’s ability to fight sun damage and often causing uneven pigmentation as age spots. The age spots are due to the Rupturing of small blood capillaries, which gives you a reddish look. These spots also appear due to genetically in the merited skin and if your family history is showing higher growth of age spots then you are more prone to develop age spot.
The initial flat, light color red and irregular age spot become larger, protruding and dark. Age spots develop also in the liver, and nerve system; therefore they are termed as liver spots”. Since accumulation of some organic chemicals in a cell is a sign of aging of the cell, age spots is a result of the accumulation of basal aged cells.
Recognizing the Age spots among others:
- They are not identical in terms of size and shape.
- It is a two-dimensional flat spot
- Within one spot, some parts are flat and some are protruding with deeper color, which makes a spot rough and heterogeneous in appearance.
- A protruding spot in advance stage is soft, filled with lipid, but long-lasting
Who is at risk for age spots?
People of any age, sex, or race can develop age spots. However, age spots are more common in people with certain risk factors. These include:
- being older than 40 years old
- having fair skin
- having a history of frequent sun exposure
- having a history of frequent tanning bed use
Age spot treatment:
The treatment of age spots has diversified routes. Some prefer home remedies with traditional outcomes while other go for innovative skin treatments involving medicines, chemicals and last but not the least the surgical options.
The innovative medical treatment comprises
- Chemical peels,
- Chemical spot treatments,
- Laser treatments, and
Age spots aren’t dangerous and don’t cause any health problems. Treatment isn’t necessary, but some people want to remove age spots because of their appearance.
Your healthcare provider may prescribe bleaching creams to fade the age spots gradually. These usually contain hydroquinone, with or without retinoids such as tretinoin. Bleaching creams usually take several months to fade age spots.
Bleaching and tretinoin creams make your skin more sensitive to UV damage. You will need to wear sunscreen at all times during treatment and continue to wear sunscreen, even on cloudy days, after fading the spots.
There are several medical procedures that can remove or reduce age spots. Each medical procedure carries a risk of side effects and complications. Ask your dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or skin care professional about which treatment is the most appropriate for your skin.
Medical procedures for age spots include:
- intense pulsed light treatment, which emits a range of light waves that passes through the skin and targets melanin to destroy or breakup the spots
- chemical peels, which remove the outer layer of your skin so new skin can grow in its place
- dermabrasion, which smooths off the outer layers of the skin so new skin can grow in its place
- cryosurgery, which freezes individual age spots with liquid nitrogen
Always wear sunscreen after treatment to protect your healing skin from UV damage and to prevent the reoccurrence of the spots.
How to Prevent age spots
While you can’t always prevent age spots, there are several ways you can reduce your chances of developing them:
- Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., when the sun’s rays are most intense.
- Wear sunscreen every day. It should have a sun protection factor (SPF) rating of at least 30 and contain both UVA and UVB protection.
- Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes before sun exposure. Reapply every two hours, and more often if swimming or perspiring.
- Wear protective clothing such as hats, pants, and long-sleeved shirts. These help protect your skin from UV rays. For the best protection, wear UV-blocking clothes with an ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) of at least 40.
There are many over-the-counter creams available that are marketed for removing age spots. However, these creams aren’t as strong as prescription creams. They may or may not effectively remove your excess skin pigmentation. If you want to use an over-the-counter cream, choose one that contains hydroquinone, deoxyarbutin, glycolic acid, alpha hydroxy acid, or kojic acid.
Cosmetics don’t remove age spots. Instead, they cover them. Ask your dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or makeup counter salesperson to recommend brands that effectively conceal age spots. Follow these home remedies for solve your age spots problem :
1.) Aloe Vera:
Aloe Vera juice or gel have miraculous properties to rejuvenate the skin .it should be rubbed to the affected area as to absorb the ingredients into the skin and surely the positive outcome is at your and within a few weeks.
This healthy fruit is not only helpful in digestive treatments but also has its magical beauty treatment properties. Apply raw papaya grated and rubbed on the dark spots. This procedure has to be applied on a daily basis and you can see the required outcome for sure.
A herb to cure the age spots nuisance, to get a charming result mixes some horseradish with a bowl of milk keep it for 20-30 minutes once the mixture is ready to apply it as rubbing the dark spot. It has to be noted that these ingredients have volatile property and are precious, but it is said to be a potent remedy to mask off the age spots.
4.) Buttermilk and tomato:
Mix the Buttermilk and tomato or blend them in a mixture for a radiant glow and exterminating the liver spots.
5.) Cumin seed:
This recipe has to be prepared by boiling cumin seeds in water, then wash your face with this boiled decoction as a cleanser. Don’t apply any cold water after the procedure.The essential oils in the cumin seed will lighten the age spots readily.
6.) Olive oil and vinegar:
Spoonful of olive oil and vinegar are infused together and directly applied on the spots this will erase the dark spots effectively but don’t forget to wash off the ingredients after few minutes of application.
These types of ingredients dominated the skin care regimen since centuries what you have to do is to just apply a pet of garlic on the spots on regular basis and see the effect in few weeks
Onion is rich in bleaching ingredient with vitamin c and applying sliced onion to your face will help to reduce the age spots.
9.) Radish, vinegar lime juice, and rosemary oil:
these all ingredients are combining together and applied on the affected zone. This amazing blend will cleanse your skin and will diminish the spot vigorously
10.) Water Melon:
This anti-oxidant rich substance has to be rubbed on the affected area.The rind will cover the age spots and minimize them through their potent antioxidant and Vitamin C rich ingredients.
11.) Rosewater and sandal powder:
These two ingredients were the ruler in skin care regimen especially connected to eastern Asia beauty treatments. You can apply their mixture as a mask it will definitely provide a soothing effect along with the therapeutic fading off of the spots. If a little bit expensive approach has to be taken then add some saffron for better and quick results.
we have discussed it several times that sunlight is the main cause of developing age spots, therefore, living in shade is the best preventive measure against them, therefore, try to expose the sun as minimum as possible and get prevented from the undesirable age spots.
13.) Covering the spots:
Once the age spots appear it is better to keep them covered as much as possible because the further exposure will deteriorate the situation.
14.) Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Age Spots
If you gulp a few drops of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water it will be a good option for minimizing age spots. However, topical application of apple cider vinegar with lemon juice is also found highly effective.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: one tablespoon
- Aloe Vera gel: half a cup
- Lemon juice: one tablespoon
- Orange juice: 1 tablespoon
- Frankincense essential oil pure: 10 drops
Mix all the ingredients .pour into a clean bottle, keeps it refrigerated and shake well before application. Apply through a cotton ball rub gently on the spots once or twice a day. After one to two weeks application, you can notice the lightening of the spots. The ingredients listed above contain maleic acid, alpha hydroxy acid, and vitamin C, citric acid. These ingredients help to exfoliate the skin and reduce the dark spots.
15.) Tyr Indian Sandalwood to Get Rid of Age Spots
The Indian tend to use sandalwood for removing age spots effectively.One great formula is:
- Sandalwood powder: two tablespoon
- Orange juice; 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon
- Capsules of vitamin E: 2 de-capsule and pour the ingredients
Mix the ingredients thoroughly with a smooth brush in a bowl to a soft paste consistency. Apply on your face every day and feel the change. It is affixed as a mask for 30-45 minutes. It will take few weeks to visualize the outcomes.
16.) Use Cucumber juice to Get Rid of Age Spots
Cucumber is famous for its bleaching nature, therefore, applying cucumber rind or juice will produce a bleaching effect on the mark eventually masking off them.
- Cucumber: 1 piece
- Honey: one tablespoon
- Lemon: 1piece
Take cucumber juice one tablespoon add one tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of lemon. Mix and apply on the affected area .dark spots are cleared by repeated applications.
17.) Apple Cider Vinegar and Onion Juice to Get Rid of Age Spots
One of the amazing solution rights in your home is a mixture of apple cider vinegar. If you apply the mixture directly on your skin then you will definitely get rid of the age spots in few weeks.
- For this take a medium size onion
- chop it into pieces and then blend in the blender.
- Pour the blender extract through a strainer or a cheese cloth in a clean bowl.
- Take one part of the extracted onion juice with one part of the apple cider vinegar and mix them thoroughly.
- Soak a cotton cloth or ball in the mixture and apply directly on the age spot.
- Leave the mixture on the spot for about 30 minutes or more if the mixture is not irritating you.
- Repeat the procedure daily for about six weeks and you will notice that the age spots are either disappeared completely or are faded.
If still some marks are present then keep repeating the procedure until the satisfying result. If you think that local application is not enough or the procedure is taking too much time then you can accelerate the process by drinking three tablespoon apple cider vinegar, diluted in a glass of water twice daily for at least a month. Consuming apple cider orally not only masks off the age spots but also give a refreshing glow to your skin. Sometimes you feel the vinegar nauseating, so you can add a spoon full of honey to counter the vinegar harshness.
18.) An Exclusive Formulation for DIY home remedy to Get Rid of Age Spots
- Baking soda: half tablespoon
- Lemon: 6
- Baby powder: 9 tablespoon
- Vitamin E oil or baby oil: 5 tablespoon
- Thick blusher brush
- Citrus juicer
- A bowl and teaspoon
- Squeeze the lemon slices in a bowl.
- Add 9 tablespoon baby powders.
- Add 5 tablespoon of oil with the mixture until it becomes frothy.
- Add 2 and a half tablespoon of baking soda in the bowl and mix it until no lumps are found.
- Microwave the mixture for 30 seconds.
- Keep it like normal till 10 seconds and to apply dip the makeup brush in the bowl and apply to the area.
- keep it for 5-6 minutes and then rinse but no longer. Repeat process 3 or 2 times a week.
19.) Oriental Mask Material to Get Rid of Age Spots
Japanese and Korean skin care industries have developed several organic products to reduce wrinkles and age spots. Especially Japanese culture incorporates the ingredients like processed cow dung, volcanic mud, musk oil, milk, eggs and other useful elements to formulate facial masks which are applied to eliminate age spots. In fact, these substances are collected and processed under controlled condition and is fully sanitized for germ-free products. An authorized Japanese government testing procedure is performed to check the quality of such products.
20.) Almond Mask to Get Rid of Age Spots
Almonds have been Avery popular in diminishing any unwanted blemish especially on the dry skin as almond oil is a potent moisturizer. Applying an almond paste will sooth the conditions of age spots.
- Blanch two almonds and grind them with egg whites.
- Add a half tea spoon of lemon juice.
- This exotic mask is applied on the skin and get it settle for half an hour and let the ingredients dry.
- A warm water rinse followed by cold water is better to remove the mask.
- Repeat the procedure weekly for optimum effect.
- Sour milk is another option to rinse the spots.
- The lactic acid in sour milk act as a peeler which peels the skin layer thus diminishing the age spots.
- This ingredient has the ability to sooth and moisturizes the skin texture.
It is now concluded that age spotting is not a disease rather than it is a physiological change occurring due to the sun or any artificial light exposure, this case become intense in middle ages as the skin cells are no more strong enough to resist ultraviolet attack. In fact, if proper care and effective treatment are applied than the outcome is very progressive.
There are much medical or cosmetic treatment available for treating to get rid of age spots but there are several side effects as well as cost factor is related to such options, therefore, utilizing simple home remedies to treat the condition is best and money saving option
Remember! To let a dermatologist examines the dark spots on a yearly basis to make sure they are benign. If any alteration in color, size, shape, or feel is noticed then don’t delay to tell your skin physician for an early diagnosis.